Do you have a tired kitchen that needs a little makeover? It’s time to get rid of those dated cabinets, update the lighting, and add some fun new features, and you are not alone.
According to Houzz, nearly half (45%) of homeowners are remodeling because they now have the money to do so (budget, time, etc.). While 29% of respondents claim their kitchen is outdated and needs repair, 35% claim it requires serious updating.
The secret to remodeling your kitchen is understanding the type of design you desire for it (and whether or not it will work with your space). Here are ten modern kitchen makeovers that can help bring some freshness back into your kitchen without breaking the bank.
Opt for a Floating Island
A floating island is a great option if you have limited kitchen space. It’s also great for creating additional counter space, especially if your existing cabinets need to be deeper to accommodate an island in the middle of your kitchen. Plus, they’re easy to install!
A floating island can be used as seating or extra seating by adding chairs around it (or even just one accent chair). You could also use it as an area for conversation by using smaller stools and coffee tables instead of larger ones that might take up too much room. If you have children in your home, consider getting them their chairs so they can sit at their table in front of the stovetop whenever they want (or even help cook dinner).
Floating islands come in different sizes. However, most people prefer smaller ones so that there’s still enough room left over for storage underneath them without taking up too much valuable floor space—and these days, there are many more options than ever!
Add Cabinets Above Appliances
If you’re looking for a way to add style to modern kitchen makeovers, consider adding cabinets above appliances. In this case, the cabinets will help organize your space and make it feel more spacious. They can also be used as storage space for dishes, plastic preform oil jars, or other utensils.
Suppose you want to install these types of cabinets yourself. In that case, there are several different options available on the market today that offer both style and functionality at an affordable price point:
- Stained Oak Woodwork – This type of woodwork looks excellent in any kitchen because it gives off an upscale look without being too expensive; however, if you want something more modern than traditional woodwork, then stained oak is worth considering!
- Thermofoil-Thermofoil cabinets are made of MDF and a foil-like substance that is vacuum sealed using heat. Particularly high gloss thermofoil produces a dazzling, reflective surface that enlarges and brightens the appearance of your kitchen.
- Laminate-A laminate is created by pressing heated resin between two sheets of paper with the specified design, color, or pattern. It is a surface covering that adheres to fiberboard or plywood on the cabinet body.
- PVC-A polyvinyl chloride sheet is a composite material that provides a durable finish like that used to make a porta potty. As a result, they can be used without a substrate. This material for kitchen cabinets is affordable and simple to install. It is a smart choice for kitchen cabinetry since it is waterproof and oil-proof. PVC sheets are typically sold in lighter shades. Several companies also provide imitation wooden textures.
Install a Farmhouse Sink
A farmhouse sink is a popular choice for those with small kitchens. They are often installed in under-mount or drop-in styles and can be found in single or double-bowl models. But keep in mind that you need a pump install to supply water to your kitchen if you don’t already have one. This could be the perfect option if you have a small kitchen and want to add some visual appeal to your space!
When it comes to choosing a sink, there are many factors that you’ll need to consider. The size of your space will be one of the most important things to remember when shopping for new sinks. You also want to ensure the sink will be easy to maintain and clean with the time you have available daily.
Sinks are also a great place to start when adding color and style to your kitchen. You can find many types of sinks, including stainless steel or copper models. These two options are ideal if you want something that will stand out from the crowd! Remember that, according to NHance, 75% of individuals love being at home more after kitchen renovation.
Install a Second Trash/recycle Bin Combo
If you don’t already have a second trash/recycle bin combo, you should consider installing one. A double trash/recycle bin combo is essential because it helps keep your kitchen area clean and organized, making it easier to keep up with household tasks. The best part? You can install it yourself!
To install a second trash/recycle bin combo:
- Use the power drill (you don’t need HDD drilling for this) to make holes in the floor where you want the new wastebaskets or bins located (you might need additional screws if they’re heavy).
- If they’re made of steel or other materials that need more strength than regular plastic wastebaskets, then ensure they have proper support underneath them and around them. This will help prevent any slippage from happening during use over time, which could cause damage to floors over time due to excessive wear against hard surfaces such as tile floors.
- If you’re installing a new trash/recycle bin combo, it’s essential that you take the time to make sure they’re level! This will help ensure the bins don’t move around too much when being moved around.
- Place the first wastebasket or bin on the floor where you want it located and adjust its position until both legs are even with each other. Once they are, measure how far apart they are from each other. If the distance between them is the same as the width of your drill bit (or a little wider), then you’re good to go! If not, then move them further apart until it is.
- Once they are even and level with one another, mark where you want holes drilled into the floor by using a pencil or other marker that can be easily removed later. This will help prevent any mistakes from happening in case you have to make adjustments later on due to unforeseen circumstances.
Update Your Backsplash With Patterned Tiles
Installing patterned tiles on the backsplash is another simple alteration that ranks among the best modern kitchen makeovers. Patterned tiles are popular because they add visual interest to any space, but they’re also more stylish than solid colors or even natural stone.
Choose tiles that match your style and fit with what’s already in the room: if you like bright colors, go with brighter ones; if you prefer earthy tones, opt for these instead of neon greens or blues. Choose durable materials—if they get dirty often (or at all), they’ll stay clean longer!
Patterned tiles are a great way to add personality and style to your kitchen. With so many options, it can be hard to choose just one! Consider the pattern you want (stripes, dots), your color scheme, and what’s already in the room when deciding.
Remodel Your Kitchen Floor
Consider replacing the flooring as part of your modern kitchen makeovers for a polished appearance. Flooring can make or ruin a room, no matter your style or price range. Any remodeling should consider this phase if you intend to change the layout or remove walls. When work is being done, what better time to alter the flooring?
It could take more work than one would think to complete this task. Floor joists in older houses frequently sag, or the underlayment is disorganized. It typically makes sense to replace or brace existing structural components after contractors or roof metal decking companies remove the old floor.
Changing up your pavers is also among the top modern kitchen makeovers. You may give your flooring a sophisticated touch and something a bit unusual by hiring a paving company. It is streamlined and modern, and because it is non-slip, it is helpful for an outdoor kitchen area.
Remodeling your floor might require a substantial amount of money. However, you might get good returns if you plan to sell your house in the future. According to remodeling by JLC, basic kitchen redesign typically costs around $21,000, with an average profit of $17,000. The ROI here is 81%.
Install Under-cabinet Lighting
Installing under-cabinet lighting is an easy DIY among the top modern kitchen makeovers tips that can be done on the weekend without tools and drilling holes in your cabinets. If you’re not comfortable with electricity, this might not be your best option. But if it interests you and no other option seems appealing or feasible at this point, this is worth looking into!
Under-cabinet lighting can significantly enhance your kitchen’s functionality and aesthetic. To begin with, under-cabinet lighting makes it easier to do essential duties like slicing vegetables or reading a recipe. It contributes to the aesthetic balance of the room’s ambient light by removing shadows in the kitchen areas that would otherwise be dark. If it has a dimmer, under-cabinet lighting has the extra convenience of functioning as a nightlight.
Add More Counter Space and Seating With a Kitchen Island
If you’re looking for more space in your kitchen, consider adding a kitchen island. A large open space that can be used for cooking and eating, storage, and organization is perfect for these kinds of modern kitchen makeovers.
Kitchen islands are available in all shapes and sizes—some are big enough to accommodate a large family meal, while others provide seating only if you have small children or guests dropping by unexpectedly. The most popular options include granite tops with stainless steel legs (which look sleek), teak wood tops with Cantilever hinges that allow them to recline on each side (ideal if there’s not enough room in other areas), reclaimed wood countertops with distressed features like peeling paint or cracks all over the surface (it adds character).
Open Up the Sink Area by Replacing Upper Cabinets With Open Shelving for Dishes
Replace upper cabinets with open shelves for dishes to open up the sink area. This will create more room in your kitchen and make it feel larger, even if you don’t have much storage space.
Open shelving is also great for displaying items you want to show off or hide away when not in use. For example, if you have a lot of fancy dishes that are sitting out on display but aren’t being used very often (maybe once every few weeks), consider hanging them up on open shelves instead of taking up valuable cabinet space!
Play Up Your Cabinetry With Updated Hardware
If you want to add a little personality to your kitchen, consider adding new hardware. You can easily do this by purchasing a hardware kit from the store or online and installing it yourself. But if you don’t have the time, consider hiring commercial architects to do the job for you.
If you need to save up money for transportation, check out utility trailers for sale. You can use it to haul extra large kitchen items such as the seats. It can also be used for portable restroom service.
The best part about these modern kitchen makeovers is that they tend to look more expensive than they are because of how well-made they are; many of them feature zinc-plated finishes and chrome accents, which all add up to an overall sleek look that makes any space feel more modernized. If you want something cheaper, though—or maybe just some extra storage space—then go with knobs or pulls made out of wood instead! They’ll also give off that rustic/industrial vibe without being too heavy-handed (which means less risk of breaking things).
With These Modern Updates, You Can Make Your Kitchen Even More Fun to Work in
We hope you’ve found some inspiration for updating your kitchen! We know that when it comes to kitchens, there are so many modern kitchen makeovers out there. As long as you’re looking for the right type of update and have the budget to carry it out, anything is possible. According to Houzz, 33% of 2017 remodelers claimed to enjoy a healthier lifestyle as a result of their kitchen upgrades. Nearly 50% claimed to spend more time with their families, and 41% claimed to cook more at home. Hard to argue against those advantages!
With these modern kitchen makeovers, you can make your kitchen even more fun to work in—and we bet you won’t be surprised by how much happier everyone will feel when they enter this space every day.
Leave a Reply