Do you love having ice cream in the summer? Are you looking to open a new business? If you answer to both questions is yes, then opening an ice cream shop in your town might be the easiest way to answer to both questions.
If you love ice cream, you’ll likely find dozens of people in your town that do too. It’s estimated that the average American eats ice cream 28.5 times annually and 40% of Americans will eat ice cream in a two-week period.
About 90% of American households regularly indulge in sweet treats like ice cream and by opening an ice cream shop, your business can become the one-stop shop for all things sweet from ice cream to ice cream floats to milkshakes and everything in between.
There are many benefits to opening an ice cream shop, including:
- A good business plan and a great product and lead to a lot of success.
- Perhaps one of the biggest benefits is that you get total creative freedom. That means you have control over every aspect of the store, from the ice cream cups to the ice cream spoons and all your other ice cream shop supplies. Not only that, but you’ll get to design the store just how you want it.
- You can become the new happening spot in town. Think about how hot it gets in the summer and how many people seek relief by getting ice cream. When the really hot days hit, people will flock to your store and eagerly gobble up your product. Everyone from kids to teenagers to parents and grandparents will come to your shop and if you’ve got great products to offer, chances are very good they’ll be back.
- At the end of the day, you get to share your passions with your friends, neighbors and fellow townspeople. You can go crazy with the menu and far out with the décor. Ultimately, your passion and creativity get to take center stage.
As you can see, there are plenty of positive reasons to opening an ice cream shop. But if it was successful then everyone would do it. So how can you be successful? To pull it off, you need to tackle your biggest business concerns head-on: Scheduling, supply costs, competition, business growth and reliability of employees.
By addressing those concerns, you’ll turn your ice cream shop into a successful business. Here’s how you do it:
- Market: These days, it’s easier than ever to post about your business on social media. You can post daily messages to customers, letting them know of deals and specials and posting witty messages to get their attention.
- Invest in the experience: With any business, especially food, you want to offer customers something they can’t get anywhere else. The same applies for ice cream shops. Amidst all the ice cream cups and cones and ice cream, you want to give customers an unforgettable experience that will keep them coming back.
- Use technology: Our world is becoming more and more technology driven and ice cream shops are the same way. Using a point of sale (POS) system will help you keep track of your inventory like ice cream cups and cones and the orders taken for customers among other things.
- Use automatic reordering: Getting your inventory under control is important since you need to know how many materials you’re using in a given period of time. That means you need to take stock of your ice cream cups, cones, spoons, other utensils and napkins among other things. This ensures you aren’t just throwing money out the window.
- Be flexible with employees: Make things easy for your employees by setting up an easy and flexible scheduling. This will allow them to swap shifts if necessary and help you avoid any scheduling conflicts.
By opening an ice cream shop, the sky is truly the limit. Your passion and creativity can shine throw and a good business plan and great products will set you up for success and keep the customers coming in.